The HSMG has issued the following Advocacy Position Statement, approved by the Board of Directors on July 14, 2011.
The Handcrafted Soapmakers Guild (HSMG) is a non-profit trade association for soapmakers, small businesses hand making soaps and the handmade soap making industry as a whole. Depending on the formulation and/or claims, handmade soaps can be regulated by the FDA or CPSC. The following principles outline the HSMG policy positions:
- Supports small businesses manufacturing safe soap and safe cosmetics.
- Supports current cosmetic regulations for the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act as a means of providing consumers with safe cosmetics.
- Supports the current soap exemption as defined in the current cosmetic regulations for the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.
- Supports all manufacturers having affordable and sufficient product & liability insurance.
- Supports small business manufacturers having access to up to date information and education.
- Supports positive advocacy strategies and communication as a means to affect change.
- Opposes new regulations which would be overly burdensome or costly to small business while not significantly increasing consumer safety.